Echelon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how Heart Rate output is calculated by Echelon? I get it all the time in the email and I have no idea how it is calculated. I am especially interested in how it relates to Average Heart Rate.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the following page, Echelon provides some comparisons between the various heart rate metrics, although the page does not provide full calculation details: Four Things to Know About Your Heart Rate
Great article about Heart Rate, but nothing in it on what Heart Rate Output is or how it's calculated, which is the number Echelon gives you in the emails after workout. Without knowing what that is, or how it's calculated, what value is it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have you gone through this process to find out what your max heart rate is?

Finding Your Max Heart Rate

To find your max heart rate, strap on your Echelon heart rate monitor, jump on the bike, and start with a ten-minute warm-up. Next, every 30 seconds, increase your output by 15 watts (or 1 mph of speed). Your max heart rate is the last 30 seconds of work before your watts decrease. Take note of this number, and use it to create your heart rate training zones.

Googling “heart rate zone calculator” provides a plethora of websites to assist with your calculations. Several mobile apps (iOS, Android) offer similar guidance. Below is output from FitDigits.com’s heart rate zone calculator.

heart rate calculator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've calculated Maximum heart rate before. This still doesn't answer my question though. What I'm curious about is exactly what the number provided in the Echelon email means to me. There is no definition anywhere of that. I guarantee you my Heart rate is not what that shows as that greatly exceeds my maximum..

·
Registered
5 Posts
When poking around, trying to figure out if I could change the heart rate zones to more accurately match mine instead of the arbitrary calculation they use (which I still haven't' figured out how to do) I found this:

We give points for each minute you are in each zone, then that is divided by 60 to give your per second to give you your score.

For example: If you are in the Orange zone for a minute you would be allocated 15 points, your leaderboard will show 15/60 per second, so .25 per second, to add up to 15 for that minute, if you drop below within that minute you will get the point value associated with that heart rate level.

See below explanations.
For Green 0
Light green 5 per minute in this zone/60 .083 per second
Yellow 10 per minute in this zone/60 .16 per second
Orange 15 per minute in this zone/60 .25 per second
Red 20 per minute in this zone/60 .33 per second

(This is the link where I found the above info: Heart Rate Output Explanation )

I'm still trying to figure out why they use this calculation instead of either 1. Telling me my average heart rate during the workout OR 2. State how long I was in each zone OR 3. Both!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts