Echelon Forum banner

Are you having difficulty connecting your bluetooth heart monitor & which one do you use?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polar seems to be one of the standards and so you would think it should connect. Customer service told me it didn't work, but I have learned the following.

1. When it's working it works almost immediately and automatically so if it's not working something needs to be fixed.
2. Older Polar H10 monitors might not work. Don't ask me why? It's simply an observation with a sample size of 1.
3. I think the main issue people are having has to do with the default pairing of the monitor. Most of us use a heart monitor for more than one thing, but the Echelon heart monitor is a dedicated unit. Also for those of us who want to track using a different app (Runkeeper Garmin Watch etc) we often want to connect more than 1 device simultaneously.
4. Polar H10 monitors default to connecting to one device only so if it's not connecting then make sure NOTHING else is connecting and unplug and replug in the monitor.
5. If you want to connect more than one device, it appears that the Polar App allows you to reset the default to permit connecting to 2 or more bluetooth devices.
6. Finally, when doing this I have the impression that the Polar Monitor can be finicky and will remember other devices you were connected to. Similarly the Echelon tablet is finicky in that it appears to need to be the FIRST of multiple connections so I literally have to turn off everything else first.

I think it works more or less now, but it's hit or miss sometimes. If I switch to another workout the bluetooth connection is broken and then my BIKE is no longer the first connection. So I literally have to start over and turn off bluetooth on my phone before I can get it to connect.

The other thing that is horribly annoying is that I can't verify the bluetooth connection until the activity is started so I am literally starting and pausing and then figuring out the device connection.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and perhaps an easier way to make this all work.

For me I want both the tablet and my phone connected so that RoadRunner can save my workout with the heart profile tracked. I don't think Strava does that and even though it's linked to Strava NONE of the heart data gets synced. Sigh.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the forum @hansolo415! For some reason non echelon accessories can be finicky to connect. I wish Echelon made things more accessible. I got the chest band because I needed a new monitor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Polar seems to be one of the standards and so you would think it should connect. Customer service told me it didn't work, but I have learned the following.

1. When it's working it works almost immediately and automatically so if it's not working something needs to be fixed.
2. Older Polar H10 monitors might not work. Don't ask me why? It's simply an observation with a sample size of 1.
3. I think the main issue people are having has to do with the default pairing of the monitor. Most of us use a heart monitor for more than one thing, but the Echelon heart monitor is a dedicated unit. Also for those of us who want to track using a different app (Runkeeper Garmin Watch etc) we often want to connect more than 1 device simultaneously.
4. Polar H10 monitors default to connecting to one device only so if it's not connecting then make sure NOTHING else is connecting and unplug and replug in the monitor.
5. If you want to connect more than one device, it appears that the Polar App allows you to reset the default to permit connecting to 2 or more bluetooth devices.
6. Finally, when doing this I have the impression that the Polar Monitor can be finicky and will remember other devices you were connected to. Similarly the Echelon tablet is finicky in that it appears to need to be the FIRST of multiple connections so I literally have to turn off everything else first.

I think it works more or less now, but it's hit or miss sometimes. If I switch to another workout the bluetooth connection is broken and then my BIKE is no longer the first connection. So I literally have to start over and turn off bluetooth on my phone before I can get it to connect.

The other thing that is horribly annoying is that I can't verify the bluetooth connection until the activity is started so I am literally starting and pausing and then figuring out the device connection.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and perhaps an easier way to make this all work.

For me I want both the tablet and my phone connected so that RoadRunner can save my workout with the heart profile tracked. I don't think Strava does that and even though it's linked to Strava NONE of the heart data gets synced. Sigh.
hansolo415 - Thanks for providing details with your connecting issues using your H10. I have had a similar experience to yours; when the H10 pairs it works great but that is not often. It worked tonight; the only thing I did differently was the following:
1.) Turn off BT on my phone
2.) Turn on the monitor and log in to my profile
3.) Position me and H10 within 12" of the tablet before getting on the bike. Once the H10 paired, I started my ride - definitely not ideal but it did work.

I will update my post again after my next ride...

·
Registered
3 Posts
hansolo415 - Thanks for providing details with your connecting issues using your H10. I have had a similar experience to yours; when the H10 pairs it works great but that is not often. It worked tonight; the only thing I did differently was the following:
3.) Position me and the H10 within 12" of the tablet before getting on the bike. Once the H10 paired, I started my ride - definitely not ideal but it did work.

I will update my post again after my next ride....
All - Happy to report the above sequence worked again this morning. I think the key is to make sure BT is turned off on your phone so the H10 does not link to that first....thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum @hansolo415! For some reason non echelon accessories can be finicky to connect. I wish Echelon made things more accessible. I got the chest band because I needed a new monitor.
Hi York,
Hi All,
New member here. I just got my bike, EX5S, the one with monitor. Then I bought echelon chest HRM thinking that there won't be any issues with connection to my bike. Unfortunately, it took a few minutes (like 5 - 10 minutes) to connect and when I moved to another class, the connection is lost and won't connect until the class ends.

I tried log on to my iPad and did a few exercise there, the connection is not an issue.

Talked to customer support so they think I got the bad monitor, so they sent a new one and got it today and same thing is happening. Just can't connect/lost connection when switching classes.

I may look for something on Amazon.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the Echo app with my Apple watch to connect heart rate from my Apple watch to the bike. The connection can be finicky sometimes but I just restart the app if the Echelon doesn't connect. Once it's connected, seems to work well for me.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to personalize the zones that show up on the display.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3.) Position me and H10 within 12" of the tablet before getting on the bike. Once the H10 paired, I started my ride - definitely not ideal but it did work.

I found that first the H10 has to be set to connect to multiple devices, which is doable only by using the polar app. The reason for this is that if it can only connect to one device and it connects to your phone (I have 2 phones so I have to turn off both) then you are out of luck.

Even with two devices and having it setup to do two there seems to be a need for the bike to connect first (so literally have to turn bluetooth off on the phone connect and then after the bike connects then I can connect my phone)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi York,
Hi All,
New member here. I just got my bike, EX5S, the one with monitor. Then I bought echelon chest HRM thinking that there won't be any issues with connection to my bike. Unfortunately, it took a few minutes (like 5 - 10 minutes) to connect and when I moved to another class, the connection is lost and won't connect until the class ends.

I tried log on to my iPad and did a few exercise there, the connection is not an issue.

Talked to customer support so they think I got the bad monitor, so they sent a new one and got it today and same thing is happening. Just can't connect/lost connection when switching classes.

I may look for something on Amazon.

Thanks
I suspect, although I could be wrong that almost ANY monitor will work if it is fully dedicated (ie NOT connected to any other device). So the only reason people have more luck with the Echelon monitor is that it isn't being used to connect to another device.

With that said, I would venture to guess that your phone is also connecting to the Echelon heart monitor. Try checking the bluetooth connections on your other devices and turn them ALL off. Then try again.

I sometimes find that unplugging the #&@##!!*)&!!!! tablet and replugging it in seems to reset things and allow a clean connection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm now getting it to work 90% of the time on both the phone and the device, but it often takes 2-5 minutes to set up right. Sigh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found that first the H10 has to be set to connect to multiple devices, which is doable only by using the polar app. The reason for this is that if it can only connect to one device and it connects to your phone (I have 2 phones so I have to turn off both) then you are out of luck.

Even with two devices and having it setup to do two there seems to be a need for the bike to connect first (so literally have to turn bluetooth off on the phone connect and then after the bike connects then I can connect my phone)
hansolo415 - That is my routine as well. However, I believe you only have to set the Polar Beat app once to enable multiple devices, so anyone using an Polar BT Heart monitor should do so before disabling BT on your phone. Also, at least for me, I really need to be close to the monitor for it to link up. Worked again this morning without issue!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have the impression that the darn thing learns and remembers the last connection(s) so it seems to improve. However, when the monitor/tablet doesn't work I sometimes find that unplugging and plugging it back in causes it to reset and suddenly work.

The other thing I've discovered is that it's NOT just my phone that needs to be turned off, but any other phone that's nearby that might connect. I had a second phone in a different room and even though it wasn't connected (it has connected in the past) it immediately connected the minute I turned of its bluetooth as well.

What can be frustrating is that if you do back to back workouts the darn tablet seems to sometimes disconnect and then you have to take the time to reconnect before starting again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hansolo415 - That is my routine as well. However, I believe you only have to set the Polar Beat app once to enable multiple devices, so anyone using an Polar BT Heart monitor should do so before disabling BT on your phone. Also, at least for me, I really need to be close to the monitor for it to link up. Worked again this morning without issue!
Glad to hear it! I think you are correct that you only have to connect to Polar Beat App once and enable multiple device connection. However, I can imagine that it might reset at some point, perhaps when you change the battery, but so far it hasn't.

It also seems to be limited to 2 connections so sometimes having another phone around will screw things up. I don't find I have to be that close to the monitor and sometimes go to the bathroom and come back. Usually it will connect right away, but occasionally it takes a few minutes. If it takes longer than that it isn't likely to connect and you have to troubleshoot. Sometimes for me disconnecting the tablet and letting it restart does the trick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect, although I could be wrong that almost ANY monitor will work if it is fully dedicated (ie NOT connected to any other device). So the only reason people have more luck with the Echelon monitor is that it isn't being used to connect to another device.

With that said, I would venture to guess that your phone is also connecting to the Echelon heart monitor. Try checking the bluetooth connections on your other devices and turn them ALL off. Then try again.

I sometimes find that unplugging the #&@##!!*)&!!!! tablet and replugging it in seems to reset things and allow a clean connection.
BTW I bought the Echelon chest band before I got things working with the Polar H10. I was thinking it would be simpler, but it isn't. My thought was to use 2 chest bands one that connects reliably to the tablet and another that connects to my phone so I can record the workout on runkeeper. Turns out I can't keep the darn Echelon chest monitor on my chest (keeps falling off) and when it did I realized that the Polar 10 was connected to the tablet as well sooooo I guess I didn't need the second band after all. I do know that it connected to it since I did use it once without having the Polar band on.

·
Registered
2 Posts

So I bought a Scosche Rhythm24 from Amazon and have no issue connecting to my bike monitor since. Going to return my Echelon Advance Chest HRM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I bought a Scosche Rhythm24 from Amazon and have no issue connecting to my bike monitor since. Going to return my Echelon Advance Chest HRM.
Ditto here. I find the Echelon Chest HRM to be a rather cheap unit and the straps are of a type that for me tend to fall off in the middle of a bike ride (very irritating). Again, I think any good bluetooth unit should connect to the monitor so long as you double check and make sure it is not trying to simultaneously connect to another phone or another device somewhere in bluetooth range (probably about 30 feet at least).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Add another with hit and miss issues with H10. From my observation
Polar Beat even has issues with it sometimes and it certainly can't connect to the Polar Beat app and another app or device via Bluetooth at the same time despite the settings to change otherwise, can't confirm but the only way to connect it to more then one device is if one tries to connect via Bluetooth and the other connects via ANT+ but then it'll likely try to use Bluetooth by default.

The EX3 uses Bluetooth clearly not ANT+ if you turn off Bluetooth the bike will disconnect.

Since there's no way to reset the HR monitor mid activity it's even worse. Sure you can pull off the sensor and put it back on but that doesn't mean anything will reaquire a signal

I found the Echelon wrist strap had the same issues, hit and miss connectivity and clearly wrong HR readings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Add another with hit and miss issues with H10. From my observation
Polar Beat even has issues with it sometimes and it certainly can't connect to the Polar Beat app and another app or device via Bluetooth at the same time despite the settings to change otherwise, can't confirm but the only way to connect it to more then one device is if one tries to connect via Bluetooth and the other connects via ANT+ but then it'll likely try to use Bluetooth by default.

The EX3 uses Bluetooth clearly not ANT+ if you turn off Bluetooth the bike will disconnect.

Since there's no way to reset the HR monitor mid activity it's even worse. Sure you can pull off the sensor and put it back on but that doesn't mean anything will reaquire a signal

I found the Echelon wrist strap had the same issues, hit and miss connectivity and clearly wrong HR readings.
The Polar H10 definitely can connect to more than one Bluetooth device simultaneously. However, first you have to get it to connect to that darn Polar Beat app and choose the setting option that allows multiple connections. It can take a few tries to get this to happen which usually means turning on and off your bluetooth, connecting and disconnecting the polar monitor from your chest, and at worst even removing and replacing the Polar H10 battery. You do have to make sure there is NO other phones with bluetooth or an Echelon device with bluetooth turned on that might interfere.

If you can't connect to the Beats app at all more than likely you have a bad Polar 10. This happened to me and I had to replace it.

Once you do have this setting changed you may observe that only one app on your phone will be able to access the bluetooth signal at a time. I think this is a phone constraint, since basically as far as the device is concerned it has already sent the signal there. So if you connect and do so first with RunKeeper or Strada, don't be surprised if you can't connect to the Beats App. You likely have to close those other apps first.

Now if you want to connect BOTH the Echelon monitor and your phone at the same time it gets a little trickier. Again you MUST make sure there is not a THIRD device in the vicinity or it will NEVER work. (learned this the hard way) If the Echelon will not connect you literally have to disconnect your phone and often the Echelon will pick up the signal immediately. This has worked so consistently that I am certain that the Echelon will only connect to the Polar if it takes the FIRST Bluetooth position. (So yes there does seem to be some order of connection issue here, don't ask me why) If it doesn't immediately connect, then I find that sometimes I simply have to disconnect and reconnect the Echelon monitor and it will then connect. (Not sure why that works, but it does)

Now if you have connected to Echelon then try to reconnect your phone as soon as possible. Yes it does sometimes take a few tries clicking connect. However if even after a few tries it doesn't connect to the phone I find that simply removing and replacing the heart monitor and/or turning on and off the phones bluetooth will often do the trick. So far I haven't ever been unable to reconnect. Once I had to literally walk around to find the other bluetooth phone and even though it was off simply turning it on and then off again made it connect. Don't ask why it makes absolutely no sense to me. So yes there is also some sort of proximity issue here where moving away from the first connected device allows a second device to be more easily connected.

If NONE of these things works, it is possible you have a bad Polar H10. I had to go through 2 units to find one that worked, but thankfully Amazon has a great return policy so it was easy to get one that worked reliably. Most people don't connect to 2 DIFFERENT types of bluetooth devices so this isn't a problem. I find connecting to 2 different iPhones is a lot easier. Connecting to Echelon and an iPhone takes a little work. I now have gotten it to work consistently.

Apparently when you switch workouts on Echelon the Bluetooth disconnects so you have to start all over again to do the next activity. This is aggravating when you want to do back to back bike rides, but it's how they set this up.

Hope that helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts