Echelon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone....yesterday I purchased the Echelon Prime Connect off of Facebook marketplace. The bike is brand new. I have successfully connected it via Bluetooth to the fit app and have done a couple of rides. Last night I ordered the heart rate monitor from the Echelon store so I’m waiting on it. My question is how do I know what resistance to set it at? I did two rides on a Peloton bike before purchasing this one and they tell you where your resistance level needs to be. I think Echelon has 4 or 5 levels but I don’t really understand what they are. I have an Apple Watch but not sure how to connect it or if I even need to. Just looking for some pointers. I’m technologically challenged so dumb it down for me. 😁 Thanks!!

·
Administrator
19 Posts
My take is try adjusting the resistance to what feels best, you can always change it!

How to use Blueheart to connect Apple watch to Echelon App

·
Registered
71 Posts
@Barrett24 are you trying to simulate any specific type of resistance?

Like going up a hill?

Considerations like that would be a good start as they tie into your fitness goals.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome @Barrett24! For resistance it's pretty much up to personal preference. Echelon might recommend certain things but ultimately it's what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Barrett24
I had this issue as well when I started my classes with Echelon. The zones (initially) felt too subjective. I was used to instructors that gave specific resistance ranges. And Echelon does have that as well, 3 I can think of right off hand are Lindsay Gurry, Dallas Jones, and Chris Tracey.

Echelon uses 5 zones and they have you determine them by perceived exertion. The zones are: Easy, Moderate, Challenging, Hard and All Out. Initially did not have an easy time figuring out how to determine these zones. But...read below.

That said, I posted a very similar question on Echelon's Facebook group a while back and got so much amazing feedback. Many people recommended taking a Jama Oliver class, in particular her 45 minute endurance ride. And they were so right! She helps you figure out your zones based on output. This was gold to me! I needed objective data; I like numbers. I also took a fusion class of hers and now I know what output number I should see when an instructor says “moderate, challenging, hard, or all out.” This has changed my entire view of the Echelon classes. I can still take a class with an instructor that gives specific resistance, but I’m actually starting to really enjoy using the zones.... a lot!! When I use zones, the numbers I resistance I use is specific to me. My focus shifted from the numbers they called out to seeing what my output number was when they called out whatever zone I needed to be in. Typically, most instructors will call out the cadence and zone, then you adjust the resistance to meet the right output number for you. I also know as my fitness increases, my zone output numbers will change. I’m loving this change in perspective!

Since that post, I also decided to do Power Zone Training with Peloton, so I have now taken a FTP test. This really helped determine my zones, although Peloton breaks it up in to 7 zones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts