Echelon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends

I just got a brand new bike yesterday and did a 60 minute workout. It was silent as a mouse. Today I’m noticing on the top of every pedal stroke there is now a faint taking or clicking sound it sounds like a digital watch tick coming from around the flywheel. My pedals are super super tight.

It’s not loud at all. I don’t think it’s defective. Is it just normal operation? It’s hard to hear but it’s in this video.

Thanks in advance if anybody has any insight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I, too, have had this question! I purchased an EX-4S from Costco before Christmas (2020). The bike was silent for multiple workouts for multiple family members during the first week. Then, into the second or third week, I started to notice a "clicking" sound (not necessarily the perfect description for it) coming from the flywheel--not the pedals. I checked on the tension of the screws on the flywheel and found them to be super tight. My only conclusion was that the sound might be coming from some bearings in the flywheel area.

When I reached out to Customer Support, the first person was concerned and offered to send new pedals, but invited me to provide a video. After doing so, my question was escalated with the attached video. After a little back and forth, I was told that a supervisor said that the sound (which had become a constant sound ... much more than occasional "clicking") was normal and that the bike should not be expected to be silent. This surprised me because it seems like bikes with magnetic resistance would be virtually silent. (And the bike wasn't cheap!)

Nothing else about the bike performed poorly during the first 5-6 weeks, so I did my best to accept the sound. But, after talking to my local Costco, it was suggested that I return my first bike and replace it with a new one. I did so a few weeks ago. For the first full week, the new bike has been completely silent for multiple workouts across multiple family members. But, after finishing a workout yesterday, I thought I heard the beginning of that "clicking" sound from the bearings--almost identical to the sound heard in the video in the original post.

So, it would be good to know if this is just a "Costco bike (EX-4S) thing" or if others who own different Echelon bikes can support the message from the Echelon supervisor that the sounds from the flywheel area are normal and that the bike should not be expected to be silent. I love the bike and the workouts. I haven't found the sounds to affect the bike's performance. But I also don't to be left with an expensive bike that is afflicted with a unique problem that may not have a solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn. You read my mind exactly. That’s exactly what I want to know too. Is this normal. Or. Do other riders have similar tiny click sounds.
At one point I thought it may be intended? Like a cadence meter or something that is totally working as intended. I just don’t know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed! I want this to be normal, although I really want the bike to be as silent as it was when I did my first rides--but it will really help to hear from others in the Community (and it wouldn't hurt to also hear an additional "official" word from Echelon). In the meantime, thank you for starting this post!

p.s. After doing another ride today, that small "click" sound (and I really wish I had a better word for it) has definitely established itself in my new bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got the bike two weeks ago and had a sound while peddling that disappears peddling backwards. Sent a video to support and got a 'normal sounds' answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will assume you all looked at this but I had this issue and it was just the cages coming loose.
Thank you for the suggestion. I made sure to check that--and to double-check to confirm the pedals were tightened. I really hoped one of those two things would stop the sound but it is clear to me that it comes from some kind of bearing in the flywheel area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got the bike two weeks ago and had a sound while peddling that disappears peddling backwards. Sent a video to support and got a 'normal sounds' answer.
I just tried the "reverse pedaling" approach. Sadly, I have the "bearing-clicking" sound (which really isn't a clicking sound, but it is close enough) pedaling either direction. But, knowing that someone else checked with Customer Service and was told the sound is normal is somewhat reassuring. At least I'm not the only one who has been caught off guard by a bike I thought would be virtually silent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just tried the "reverse pedaling" approach. Sadly, I have the "bearing-clicking" sound (which really isn't a clicking sound, but it is close enough) pedaling either direction. But, knowing that someone else checked with Customer Service and was told the sound is normal is somewhat reassuring. At least I'm not the only one who has been caught off guard by a bike I thought would be virtually silent.
I am paying attention though just in case it gets louder not really convinced it is normal but time will tell!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I, too, have had this question! I purchased an EX-4S from Costco before Christmas (2020). The bike was silent for multiple workouts for multiple family members during the first week. Then, into the second or third week, I started to notice a "clicking" sound (not necessarily the perfect description for it) coming from the flywheel--not the pedals. I checked on the tension of the screws on the flywheel and found them to be super tight. My only conclusion was that the sound might be coming from some bearings in the flywheel area.

When I reached out to Customer Support, the first person was concerned and offered to send new pedals, but invited me to provide a video. After doing so, my question was escalated with the attached video. After a little back and forth, I was told that a supervisor said that the sound (which had become a constant sound ... much more than occasional "clicking") was normal and that the bike should not be expected to be silent. This surprised me because it seems like bikes with magnetic resistance would be virtually silent. (And the bike wasn't cheap!)

Nothing else about the bike performed poorly during the first 5-6 weeks, so I did my best to accept the sound. But, after talking to my local Costco, it was suggested that I return my first bike and replace it with a new one. I did so a few weeks ago. For the first full week, the new bike has been completely silent for multiple workouts across multiple family members. But, after finishing a workout yesterday, I thought I heard the beginning of that "clicking" sound from the bearings--almost identical to the sound heard in the video in the original post.

So, it would be good to know if this is just a "Costco bike (EX-4S) thing" or if others who own different Echelon bikes can support the message from the Echelon supervisor that the sounds from the flywheel area are normal and that the bike should not be expected to be silent. I love the bike and the workouts. I haven't found the sounds to affect the bike's performance. But I also don't to be left with an expensive bike that is afflicted with a unique problem that may not have a solution.

This is hilarious to me because we were in the same boat. Or are I guess. Got our first bike 12/30 from Costco.. Slow start to clicking/thumping.. Returned it 2/6 and got a new one.. less than a week of quiet and now we are met with a clicking/thumping. Constant tinkering, annoyed husband, fixing or try to figure out the noise. At this point I am 100% convinced Costco has sold all lemons... I am upset because I LOVE my bike and have used it daily, but at this point I am tempted to just return it all together. Like you said, it isn't affecting the workouts or the bike--it all works... It is just this noise that really puts a damper on it for me.. I thought it was the red clip in part, but that isn't removable. I am wondering if the pedals can be taken off all together and new ones not Echelon be put on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is hilarious to me because we were in the same boat. Or are I guess. Got our first bike 12/30 from Costco.. Slow start to clicking/thumping.. Returned it 2/6 and got a new one.. less than a week of quiet and now we are met with a clicking/thumping. Constant tinkering, annoyed husband, fixing or try to figure out the noise. At this point I am 100% convinced Costco has sold all lemons... I am upset because I LOVE my bike and have used it daily, but at this point I am tempted to just return it all together. Like you said, it isn't affecting the workouts or the bike--it all works... It is just this noise that really puts a damper on it for me.. I thought it was the red clip in part, but that isn't removable. I am wondering if the pedals can be taken off all together and new ones not Echelon be put on.
Yeah ... it would be helpful to know if it is just us Costco EX-4S owners that are hearing the sound from the flywheel. Or, do all Echelon bikes do the same thing? One thing I was advised to do from Customer Service is purchase a lubricating spray from a bike store and to apply it to the flywheel every 4-6 months. I opted for the return-and-buy-a-new-bike approach only to have my current bike do the same as the previous one.

Like you, we love the bike (and the now-discounted price) too much to want to return it again. So--for now--we are learning to live with the sound (for now), hoping that the bike continues to perform flawlessly in every other way (which it does). We have determined that if something else develops (we hope not!), we will be covered by Costco's generous and lengthy return policy. But if we have to do that, we would like to know if it is just the EX-4S bike that produces the sound or if all Echelon bikes do the same thing. In a weird way, it would be comforting to know that all Echelon bikes do this because we have really enjoyed the bike and the Echelon workouts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts