Echelon Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because the sounds seem to come from the flywheel (it seems like a bearing issue to me), I will certainly be interested to know if the "bad crank" diagnosis becomes the long-term solution. If so, I will need to make a similar warranty request and push back on the "it's normal" diagnosis, which doesn't seem right. At this point, there aren't many Echelon bike owners (owners of different models) visiting this thread, confirming that the sound we hear is normal for all Echelon bikes.

I paid full price at Costco ($999) in December and then got a price match when the bike was discounted by $200 one month later. So, I am in the same situation about another potential return: Getting a full refund and then needing to pay more to bring home a new bike from Costco, if I choose to do so at some point in the future--which I really hope I won't need to do!

Keep us posted, okay?

Will do!! I have bookmarked this page and reply when my new bike is received. Could be two weeks out. Im hoping others find this page. I know there are other posts with similar concerns.

https://www.reddit.com/r/go_echelon/comments/lshjil

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, found this in a google search as I’m having the same issue. I have the EX5S, so one of the newer models and I’m having the same clicking/thumping sound! This is definitely not just a Costco bike thing. I’ve been so nervous to even get out of the saddle as I don’t want anything to break. Like others have said, as annoying as the sound is, if it means my bike is working properly, I can deal with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone, found this in a google search as I’m having the same issue. I have the EX5S, so one of the newer models and I’m having the same clicking/thumping sound! This is definitely not just a Costco bike thing. I’ve been so nervous to even get out of the saddle as I don’t want anything to break. Like others have said, as annoying as the sound is, if it means my bike is working properly, I can deal with it.
I received my new bike and so far no noise. We shall see if this continues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will do!! I have bookmarked this page and reply when my new bike is received. Could be two weeks out. Im hoping others find this page. I know there are other posts with similar concerns.

https://www.reddit.com/r/go_echelon/comments/lshjil
I have about 50 rides on my relatively new EX5S which I purchased direct from Echelon. Just noticed the clicking sound for the first time this morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
While it doesn't make me happy to know that other Echelon models also have the clicking sound (or whatever term best describes it), it may seem to suggest that the sound could be normal--and it isn't just a "Costco bike thing."

Personally, I wish the clicking sound wouldn't happen because it wasn't there when I did my first rides. It slowly developed over time and is fairly standard and consistent with every ride. But, after returning my first bike to Costco (after 4-5 weeks) and then bringing home another one ... and having the new one make the same sounds after a few weeks of rides ... I am left to conclude that what I originally heard (from an Echelon customer service supervisor) is that the clicking sound is "normal." I didn't get much information beyond that, other than a recommendation to go to a bike store to purchase an inexpensive oil to lubricate the flywheel every 3-6 months.

In the meantime and all clicking sounds aside, the bike continues to function properly--which thrills me because other than the sound from the flywheel, I love the bike and the workouts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
While it doesn't make me happy to know that other Echelon models also have the clicking sound (or whatever term best describes it), it may seem to suggest that the sound could be normal--and it isn't just a "Costco bike thing."

Personally, I wish the clicking sound wouldn't happen because it wasn't there when I did my first rides. It slowly developed over time and is fairly standard and consistent with every ride. But, after returning my first bike to Costco (after 4-5 weeks) and then bringing home another one ... and having the new one make the same sounds after a few weeks of rides ... I am left to conclude that what I originally heard (from an Echelon customer service supervisor) is that the clicking sound is "normal." I didn't get much information beyond that, other than a recommendation to go to a bike store to purchase an inexpensive oil to lubricate the flywheel every 3-6 months.

In the meantime and all clicking sounds aside, the bike continues to function properly--which thrills me because other than the sound from the flywheel, I love the bike and the workouts.
My clicking sound lasted only a short time and is now completely gone.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for the video link. I wish I could say it helped. I came across that video when the bike made the sound (and I tried everything in the video) but it didn't solve anything--because whatever the video is supposed to solve wasn't an issue with my bike (and still isn't). Everything about my bike is fine, except for the sound that comes from the wheel area when I pedal. At this point, I am so used to hearing it (even though I don't want to hear anything) I almost don't notice it anymore. But, like I have said, I just want to make sure it isn't the development of a current or future problem--especially where I only have a few months remaining on the warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this thread looking for solutions when my bike started making a strange rubbing/crunching/clicking sound coming from near the crankshaft inside the plastic housing. It was not the pedals because the sound persisted even if I didn't use the pedals to turn the crankshaft.

I found this official video explaining how to open up the plastic housing to replace the belt and figured I would take a look. To gain access to the belt, I only removed the right pedal, right housing, and the tensioner pulley. I found that the grooves on the belt were full of what i assume is compressed rubber dust from the belt wearing in. I used a needle to scrape out all the rubber bits in the grooves, being careful not to poke/cut into the belt. After reinstalling everything, the bike is silent again. :)

Hopefully this comment helps someone down the line.

Jeans Musical instrument accessory Wood Bicycle part Finger
Wood Grey Twig Flooring Hardwood

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread too - I feel a little better that I have company with the issue here. I got my EX3 used yesterday USED - Amazon had sold out and other retailers wanted $1499 instead of $999. Originally purchased in April 2020 at a retailer in Toronto (not Costco).

The clicking sound appears to be coming from the flywheel not the pedals - the sound appears to be amplified by the plastic housing, so I'm pretty sure it's inside the bike. It Squeaks on every other rotation of the flywheel.

I tried the "Flywheel adjusting" video from Echelon - but they both appear to be unmovably tight - but I only have crescent wrenches at the moment. I'm going to get some proper wrenches and 'back off' the outer fly wheel bolt on the left side. .....and keep reading this forum.

One other problem with the bike getting it used - I could not get the table holder to stay upright - I've McGyvered it - but I'd like to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Something tells me the solution in the Echelon Video fixes a THUMPING sound - the description specially says this - my sound can best be described as a 'clicking or snapping sound' that occurs every TWO rotations of the rear flywheel - since the front crank is smaller than the rear - this leads me to believe it's to do with the rear fly wheel.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts